PRN- As Needed will work various hours
- Is accountable for the delivery of consistently high quality effective and efficient entry of information into the computer system.
- Functions under the supervision of the Data Processing Supervisor.
- Is accountable for the effective, efficient and safe operations of the Business Office ensuring that the objectives of the Business Office department and the organization are met.
- Ensures appropriate organizational and patient safety practices are in use.
- Promotes good public relations through contacts with patients, practitioners, visitors, employees, peers and the public at large.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
- Processes patient registration in a timely and accurate fashion by interviewing patients or their representatives and verifying required data for input in the computer which includes name, address, telephone number, attending/family physician and individual or agency responsible for hospital bill.
- Obtains required signatures on forms according to established procedures and ensures information recorded is complete and accurate for processing of charges and billing.
- Assembles patient files that include registration forms, test requisitions and photocopies of insurance cards, driver’s license, armband and datacard. Upon completion of this procedure, the clerk then directs patient with the registration information to the correct department/area they should be going for testing. If patient is seen in the Emergency Room, the registration forms are given to the nurse.
- Processes incoming and outgoing telephone calls efficiently, politely and quickly as possible while responding to inquiries according to established policies for release of information. Answers questions from nursing personnel and physician’s offices regarding admissions and patient’s location.
- Responsible for obtaining required signatures for advance directive, financial assistance and Medicare rules for patients. Refers more complex or difficult questions to supervisor.
- Corrects or updates computer records to reflect change in patient status, patient transfers and discharges. Ensures corrected information is forward to appropriate departments.
- Requisitions and stores approved office supplies and forms.
- Responsible for the effectiveness and efficient operation of the admissions area. Promotes good public relations through contacts with physicians, patient, visitors, employees and peers.
- Promotes a positive hospital image to patients and physicians by possessing a professional appearance and attitude.
- Ensures patient files are in order and forwarded to Data Processing and Medical Records by the next day.
- Files the physician and radiologist copies in the appropriate area.
- Pages Medical Staff, disaster and emergency codes with dispatch and clarity in a calm manner.
- Places all long distance telephone calls for patients and visitors.
- Assists in maintaining established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality improvement program, safety and environmental standards.
- Assists in maintaining departmental reports and records as directed.
- Assists in implementing department specific goals and objectives in keeping with overall Business Office and organizational goals and objectives.
- Assists in maintaining adequate and effective communication between the Business Office and ancillary departments for problem solving.
- Interacts with others (on the phone or in person) in a positive, professional and appropriate manner.
- Works cooperatively with others. Has respect for and an understanding of the contributions of all team members.
- Attends required meetings and participates in educational programs and in-service meetings.
- Protects patient confidentiality by promoting appropriate staff communication practices.
- Works shifts as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.